The main objective of this course is to understand the management process of “Multinational Corporations” (MNCs). We will examine the reasons behind the firm’s decision to move abroad such as production, outsourcing or new market exploration. The course also discusses optimal ways to manage MNCs according to their size and mode of operations in foreign markets. We will discuss famous MNCs and their evolving management style to expand or retain their market share around the globe.
Module 1: Expanding Abroad: MNCs and Global Markets
- Understand the company’s need for expansion and/or outsourcing.
- Understand the difference between home and target market. e.g. developed or emerging economy.
- Identify the mode of entry selected by different MNCs for different markets.
- Understand different structures of MNCs and consequential management techniques.
- Location and competitive advantage
Module 3: Business Strategy and Risk Management in Global Environment
- In-depth competitive analysis and strategies to manage competition in different markets.
- Understanding and fulfilling consumer needs in different global markets.
- Understanding outsourcing structure and its strategic importance for MNCs
- Product differentiations or Mass Production, decision-based on the target market.
Module 4: Disruptive Technologies and MNCs
- How disruptive technologies change market dynamics
- Localizing the business model to fit the domestic needs.
- Understand the diversification and placement strategies.
Walmart around the World
Emirates Airlines: Connecting the Unconnected
The Rise and Fall of Nokia
Core Competence of the Corporation, HBR Article, HBS No. 90311
Creating New Market Space, HBR Article, HBS No. 99105
Going Global: Lessons from Late Movers, HBR Article, HBS No. R00201