Jawad Syed is Professor of Organizational Behavior and Leadership at the Suleman Dawood School of Business (AACSB accredited), Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS). Prior to LUMS, he worked at the University of Kent as a Reader during 2007-14 and University of Huddersfield as a Professor during 2014-16.
Professor Syed obtained his PhD in Business from Macquarie University and completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education at the University of Kent. Prior to that, he received a Master of International Business from the Western Sydney University. He also attended Institute for Management and Leadership in Education (MLE) at the Harvard University Graduate School of Education, and Global Colloquium for Participant Centered Learning at Harvard Business School (HBS).
Professor Syed is a Program Co-Chair of European Academy of Management’s (EURAM) Gender, Race, and Diversity in Organizations (GRDO) Special Interest Group. He is a director of the Global Centre for Equality and Human Rights (GCEHR) and coordinator of the South Asian Academy of Management (SAAM). In academic leadership roles, he has served as Dean of the Suleman Dawood School of Business (AACSB accredited), Head of People, Management and Organizations group (University of Kent), and Director of Talent, Diversity and Development Research Group (University of Huddersfield).
Professor Syed has edited and authored eight books and written more than 81 journal articles and book chapters, including his articles in Human Relations, British Journal of Management, Business Ethics Quarterly, Human Resource Management Journal, Management Learning, and Gender, Work & Organization. His books include: China’s Belt and Road Initiative in a Global Context (Springer), Human Resource Management: A Global and Critical Perspective (Palgrave Macmillan), The Palgrave Handbook of Knowledge Management (Palgrave Macmillan), Managing Diversity and Inclusion: An International Perspective (Sage), Employee Motivation in Saudi Arabia: An Investigation into the Higher Education Sector (Palgrave Macmillan), Religious Diversity in the Workplace (Cambridge), Managing Gender Diversity in Asia: A Research Companion (Edward Elgar), and Managing Cultural Diversity in Asia: A Research Companion (Edward Elgar).
Organizational Behavior, Leadership
Ph.D., Macquarie University
- Jawad Syed (2020) Gendered work engagement: qualitative insights from Jordan. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 31 (5)
- Jawad Syed (2019) The curious under-representation of women impact case leaders: Can we disengender inequality regimes?. Gender, Work & Organization.
- Jawad Syed (2019) A multilevel perspective of the identity transition to motherhood. Gender, Work and Organization 26 (7) :09686673
- Jawad Syed (2019) A contextual study of female-leader role stereotypes in the hotel sector. Journal of Sustainable Tourism 27 (1) :0966-9582
- Jawad Syed (2018) Implications of religion, culture, and legislation for gender equality at work: Qualitative insights from Jordan. 164 :0167-4544
- Jawad Syed (2018) An intersectional perspective on Muslim women's issues and experiences in employment. Gender, work and organization 25 (5) :09686673
- Jawad Syed (2018) To include or not to include? A poetics perspective on the Muslim workforce in the West. Human Relations 71 (8) :0018-7267
- Jawad Syed (2017) Intersectionality at Work: South Asian Muslim Women’s Experiences of Employment and Leadership in the United Kingdom. 77 (7-8) :03600025
- Jawad Syed (2017) From rhetoric to reality: A multilevel analysis of gender equality in Pakistani organizations. Gender, Work and Organization. 24 (5) :09686673
- Jawad Syed (2017) A Macro-National Level Analysis of Arab Women's Work Engagement. European Management Review 14 (2) :1740-4754
- Jawad Syed (2017) Muslim Diaspora in the West and International HRM. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 28 (8) :0958-5192
- Jawad Syed (2017) Contextualising diversity management in the Middle East and North Africa: A relational perspective. Human Resource Management Journal 27 (3) :0954-5395
Book & Case Publishing
- Jawad Syed; Yung-Hsiang Ying (2019) China’s Belt and Road Initiative in a Global Context: A Business and Management Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan
- Jawad Syed (2019) China Pakistan Economic Corridor: A Business and Management Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Jawad Syed (2019) Organizational Restructuring and Capacity Enhancement of Engineering Consultancy Services Punjab Pvt. Limited.
- Jawad Syed (2019) To split or not to split: Strategic planning and alignment at Jaffer Brothers Pvt. Limited.
- Jawad Syed (2018) Shanghai Silk Pharma, Ltd.: Employee turnover.
- Jawad Syed; Peter A Murray; Donald Hislop; Yusra Mouzughi (2018) The Palgrave handbook of knowledge management. Palgrave Macmillan
- Rodwan Hashim Mohammed Fallatah, Jawad Syed. (2018) Employee Motivation in Saudi Arabia : An Investigation into the Higher Education Sector. Palgrave Macmillan
- Syed, Jawad (2018) Religious Diversity in the Workplace. Cambridge University Press
- Jawad Syed (2017) HRM and governance: Brunei’s public sector.
- Jawad Syed (2017) Diversity management: Oscars so white.
- Jawad Syed (2017) HRM in context: Emiratisation of Etihad Airways.
- Jawad Syed (2017) HRM in context: Labour unrest in the automobile industry in India.
- Jawad Syed (2017) HRM in context: Employees’ rights and industrial action in China.
- Jawad Syed (2017) Chinese expats in India.
- Jawad Syed (2017) Diversity management: Samina’s career experiences in theUK and the Middle East.
- Jawad Syed (2017) Diversity management: Successful business stories.
- Jawad Syed (2017) Human Resource Management: A Global and Critical Perspective. 2nd edition.
- Jawad Syed (2016) Digital Learning and Employee Development atthe Gulfistan Co., Ltd..
- Jawad Syed, Edwina Pio, Tahir Kamran, Abbas Zaidi (2016) Faith-based violence and Deobandi militancy in Pakistan. Palgrave Macmillan